New Zealand Men’s Lacrosse National Team – World Championships July 2018

Expressions of interest are invited from players wanting to participate in trials and extended squad training for the New Zealand Men’s Lacrosse National Team that will be competing in the World Championships that will be held in Israel in July 2018.

Trials will take place in Auckland beginning 4th January at 2pm. There will be a briefing and fitness testing at that time. There will be three player evaluation scrimmages (two on the 5th and one on the morning of the 6th). The extended practice team will be selected on the afternoon of the 6th January.

If selected, players MUST be available for extended team training from 7th – 13th January 2018.  NO EXCEPTIONS!

To register players will need to complete and submit the attached EOI, along with an initial payment of $100 by 31st August 2017. A further payment of $150 is required by 31st December 2017. If selected for extended training an additional payment of $350 will be required.

A recommended fitness programme will be provided to players by 1st September 2017. Note that fitness will be taken into consideration during the selection process.

The World Championships are being held in Netanya, Israel from 12th to 21st July 2018. It is anticipated that the NZ team will plan to arrive in Israel by 8th July 2018 and depart on 22nd July 2018. The cost is currently estimated to be $9-10,000 / player.

The Head Coach is Robert Macaluso. Assistant Coordinators are: Ashley Barnes (Offence), Tom Deane (Defence), Andy Muir (Face Off and Conditioning), Heath Simone (Goalkeeping), David Zussman is the Team Manager and Roger Snow is the Operations Manager.

The NZLA has set the following objectives for the NZ Men’s National Team:

  •  Develop a programme that is built around the best young players in New Zealand
  •  Develop a National team where most of the team plays lacrosse in New Zealand – at least 70 % (no more than 6 overseas players) by 2018 and 80% (no more than 4 overseas players) by 2022. Players who have lived and played significant part of their lacrosse careers in NZ but are currently working or living overseas are not considered to be an “overseas player”.

The FIL eligibility criteria require that 85 % (19) of the NZ National team are passport holding NZ citizens. The remaining 15% (4) non-passport holders must meet NZ nationality requirements through parents, grandparents, marriage or residence (refer to FIL policy).

As additional clarification:

  • No more than 6 players from overseas.
  • No more than 4 players who are not NZ citizens (passport holders)

Expression of Interest NZ Nat team June 2017.docx