NZWLA Statement on Player Availability for NZ U19 and NZ U23 Programmes
The Commitments of the NZWLA High Performance Programme
NZWLA High Performance is committed to:
– Developing future NZBlax players; and
– Promoting opportunities for our high performance players overseas.
– We do this by entering and competing in both the Senior World Cup and the U19 World Cup.
What the NZU23 Programme Offers Players
In addition, the NZWLA High Performance offers a bridging team at the U23 level.
The NZ U23 ASPACS programme is:
– An opportunity for players who perhaps fall outside either World Cup campaigns; or
– A player who has not yet been identified as a NZ high performance player.
What the New Zealand High Performance Guidelines on Player Availability Are
Where players meet the age requirements for the NZ U19 and the NZ U23 programme, it is important to understand the NZWLA High Performance guidelines for player availability.
The expectations are:
– That all high performance programmes work collaboratively towards the NZWLA High Performance guidelines and player welfare;
– Senior and U19 World Cup programmes will take priority if the player is eligible for the NZ U23 programme;
– Players can commit their availability to multiple programmes, provided they meet all the expected requirements for selection.
The NZ U23 Head Coach(es) and NZWLA High Performance has the discretion to decide:
– Whether a place is held for any U19 players that are released from the NZ U19. It is not guaranteed that places will be held for any players.
– If players that are released from the NZ U19 squad in the next selection round will be allowed to trial or enter the training squad for the NZ U23.
If players or parents have any further questions about the U19 and U23 teams, they should contact Damon Jakeman, NZWLA High Performance Director at firstname.lastname@example.org